March 13-14, 2020
The Tennessee State Museum is located at 1000 Rosa L Parks Blvd in Nashville, Tennessee. Driving directions are available here. The event is free and open to the public.
Free parking is available in the parking lot located between the Museum and the Nashville Farmers’ Market. Additional parking options are listed on the Museum’s website here.
A limited amount of travel assistance is available for qualifying State Finals participants and/or their chaperones based on need and availability and as a reimbursement. To be considered for travel assistance, complete the Travel Assistance Application 2020 as soon as possible but no later than February 10, 2020 and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of Events:
- Friday, March 13, 2020 – Pre-finals activities for students and teachers in the Museum’s Education Classroom
- 5:00 pm Central Time – Student and teacher check-in
- 5:30-6:00 pm – Dinner for students and teachers
- 6:00-8:00 pm – Poetry activity
- Saturday, March 14, 2020 – 2020 Poetry Out Loud State Finals contest in the Museum’s Digital Learning Center
- 8:30-9:30 am Central Time: Student Rehearsal. Rehearsal is closed to the public.
- 10:00 am Central Time: Start of Finals Competition
- Opening Remarks
- Round 1
- Round 2
- Announcement of Finalists
- Finals Round
- Announcement of Winners
- Note: Breakfast for students and teachers will be provided from 7:45-9:00 am Central Time
A block of hotel rooms is available for Poetry Out Loud participants at SpringHill Suites by Marriott – Nashville MetroCenter located at 250 Athens Way, Nashville, Tennessee 37228. The block is available for check-in on March 13, 2020 and check-out on March 14, 2020. The event hotel offers a complimentary hot breakfast and free parking and is located just over two miles from the Tennessee State Museum.
Participants must make their own reservations by calling the hotel at 615-244-5474. Mention the “Poetry Out Loud Group” name to secure the government rate of $223. Reservations are first-come, first-served and must be made by Friday, February 14, 2020 to secure the government rate of $223 plus taxes. All participants are responsible for reserving and paying for their own hotel rooms. To be considered to receive reimbursement of travel expenses, see Travel Assistance Application above.